One of our biggest expenses after mortgage and council tax is fuel. Both utilities and petrol and diesel for our cars. So any way to save money on fuel is a bonus for me.
- Do not use your car as storage, make sure you are not carrying lots of unnecessary things in the boot, as this will make it heavier and use more fuel to drive
- Do not use your air-conditioning unless necessary as this also uses fuel.
- Keep your windows closed, this makes the car more streamlined.
- Do not leave a roof rack on for longer than necessary as this could add up to 5% to your fuel consumption.
- Make sure your fuel cap is on correctly to prevent fuel evaporation.
- Drive as smooth as possible in as high a gear as possible. Try not to brake excessively.
- Use cruise control and avoid driving at high speeds. Try to maintain your speed to keep momentum.
- Check your tyres are correctly inflated.
- Turn off your engine if you are going to be idling for more than 10 seconds.
- Use the correct oil for your engine and make sure your car is regularly serviced.
Another super way to save money on your fuel is Tesco fuel save. Once you spend £50 in Tesco you activate the fuel save element on your club card and it gives you a 2p saving. Until the 30th September, every purchase you make gets added up over a month and when you hit £50 you get 2p off a litre of fuel, to be used by the end of the following month. For every further £50 you spend over a month you'll get another 2p off, up to a maximum of 20p off a litre