I came across a version of Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments on Lulastics blog and was keen to try it out for myself. Mini loves the smell of cinnamon and I managed to find some inexpensive pots of it in Aldi, which made them really reasonable.
- Cinnamon (I used three jars at 50p each and got lots of ornaments)
- Apple sauce (I got a value one from Tesco that you would use with pork at 35p)
- Rolling pin
- Cookie cutters
- Pine cones
- Modge podge or PVA
- Gold spray (from the pound shop)
- Florist wire
- Firstly heat the applesauce in a sauce pan and then add the cinnamon until it is a firm dough.
- kneed the dough thoroughly
- Using the spice instead of flou (to prevent sticking) roll out. I found this easier on a silicone baking sheet using the play dough rolling pin
- I used cookie cutters we already had to make the shapes and a straw to make a hole for the string to go through
- Place on a wire rack and cook at 100 degrees for 2 two three hours.
- Allow to cool
- Coat with modge podge or PVA
- I spray painted my pine cones gold and allowed to dry.
- Using florists wire make a loop around the top of the pine cones.
- Thread a cinnamon ornament on to the thread and tie in place.
- the thread on a pine cone and secure by turning the florists wire.
- Alternate a pine cone and decoration for the length of you garland and hang.
- The modge podge doesn't stop the decorations from smelling and looking great.